By Lynn R. Mitchell
Next week the replica of the 18th century ship, Hermione, will be in Yorktown as well as Jamestown Settlement’s Godspeed. Cultural events, exhibitions and educational programs also are part of this special event to take place Friday, Saturday, and Sunday — June 5-7. Following is information about this historical event.
- Friday, June 5 – Arrival Ceremony
General Public Parking – Endview Plantation, 362 Yorktown Road (intersection of Jefferson Avenue and Yorktown Road), Newport News. Use I-64 Exit 247. The parking lot will open at 7 a.m. Free bus transport from Endview to the Yorktown Victory Center will be available until 2 p.m. Return trips from the Yorktown Victory Center to Endview will run throughout the day until 6:30 p.m.
From the Yorktown Victory Center, visitors will need to walk approximately 0.6 miles along the Riverwalk to arrive at Riverwalk Landing where the events are being held. To return to the Yorktown Victory Center from Riverwalk Landing guests may walk or take the free Yorktown Trolley (in operation until 5 p.m.). Following the Trolley’s 5 p.m. run, visitors will need to walk to the Victory Center to catch the final bus back to Endview Plantation. Please note: There is a steep hill on the route to/from the Victory Center that some individuals may find challenging.
- The Endview Plantation parking will only be available on Friday, June 5.
- General Public Parking for the afternoon of Friday, June 5, and for June 6 and 7 will be available at the County Administration Building, York Hall, and other lots in town, but the number of spaces is limited. The two-tier Riverwalk Landing parking terrace will be available after 2 p.m. on Friday.
- Parking on the Battlefields is not permitted during this event.
- Handicapped Accessible Parking will be available in the parking lot across from the Watermen’s Museum on Water Street and in the parking lot under the Coleman Bridge. A handicapped parking decal will be required for these lots.
Free Deck Tour Tickets
Tickets for the tour of the Hermione and Jamestown Settlement’s Godspeed are free and available on a first-come, first-served basis. Because of the ships’ capacity, a limited number of tickets will be distributed each day. Tickets are limited to one per person. Guests must be present to receive their tickets. Ticket booths are located at Riverwalk Landing in the grassy area adjacent to the piers (425 Water Street, for GPS). Tickets will be distributed at the following times:
- Tickets for Friday, June 5, will be available beginning at 12 p.m. Tours will begin at 2 p.m. and will end at 7 p.m.
- Tickets for Saturday, June 6, and Sunday, June 7, will be available beginning at 8 a.m. Tours will begin at 9 a.m. and will end at 7 p.m.
- Water Street between Buckner Street and Ballard Street will be closed to vehicular traffic from Thursday, June 4, through Monday, June 8.
- Zweybrucken Road will be closed to vehicular traffic on Friday, June 5, from 11:00 a.m. until 12:30 p.m.
- Water Street between Mathews Street and Buckner Street will require a permit on Friday, June 5, from 7:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m.
- The beach picnic area will be closed to public vehicles on Friday, June 5, from 7:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m.
For detailed information on the Hermione visit, tickets, and parking, please visit www.hermioneyorktown.com or call York County Parks, Recreation and Tourism at 757-890-3500 or Public Information at 757-890-3300.