I was so glad to have the crock pot going today with this yummy concoction because I was late getting home this evening … walked in the door … and smelled yummy smells of Crock Pot Chicken Taco Chili coming from the kitchen. With out-of-town company visiting, it was a perfect match. I doubled the batch which filled my crock pot to the tippy top and, though I was a little worried it would bubble over, it stayed safely in the pot.
I made absolutely no adjustments to this recipe … took the easy way and used packets of taco seasoning. Tomorrow it will be even better after the flavors meld overnight. First time for this recipe and it’s a keeper. Enjoy!
Crock Pot Chicken Taco Chili
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 (15.5 oz) can black beans, drained
- 1 (15.5 oz) can kidney beans, drained
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 10 oz package frozen corn kernels
- 2 (10 oz) cans diced tomatoes w/chilies
- 4 oz can chopped green chili peppers, chopped
- 1 packet reduced sodium taco seasoning or homemade (see below)
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 24 oz (3) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
To make your own taco seasoning, omit the packet, cumin and chili powder above and use below instead:
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Combine beans, onion, chili peppers, corn, tomato sauce, diced tomato, cumin, chili powder and taco seasoning in a slow cooker and mix well.
- Nestle the chicken in to completely cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours or on HIGH for 4 to 6 hours.
- Half hour before serving, remove chicken and shred.
- Return chicken to slow cooker and stir in.
- Top with fresh cilantro and your favorite toppings!
Yield: 10 servings, Serving Size: About 1 cup
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 209
- Total Fat: 3g
- Saturated Fat: g
- Cholesterol: 50mg
- Sodium: 867mg
- Carbohydrates: 26g
- Fiber: 7g
- Sugar: 4g
- Protein: 23g